MILESTONES IN BNU HISTORY
February 2010Launch of Renminbi Services
October 2009Launch of CUP Debit Card
November 2008Launch of AMEX Card
June 2008Launch of CUP Prepaid Card
April 2007Launch of BNU Business Online Banking
July 2001In accordance with the merger of Banco Nacional Ultramarino and Caixa Geral de Depósitos by incorporation of BNU into CGD, the Macau Branch of Banco Nacional Ultramarino became, as of July 1, 2001, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Caixa Geral de Depositos, incorporated in Macau.
March 2001On March 28th, 2001 the merger of Banco Nacional Ultramarino and Caixa Geral de Depósitos, through incorporation of Banco Nacional Ultramarino into Caixa Geral de Depósitos was announced. As provided by the merger plan, the Macau Branch of Banco Nacional Ultramarino would become a bank incorporated in Macau SAR, retaining the name Banco Nacional Ultramarino S.A. and being a wholly-owned subsidiary of Caixa Geral de Depósitos.
Banco Nacional Ultramarino S.A. will remain a notes issuer and Agent of the Treasury.
2000In April, an agreement was signed with the Administration of Macau Special Administrative Region of the People´s Republic of China whereby the Bank remains an Agent of the Treasury.
1995Confirming the Bank as a notes issuer at least until 2010.
1988 – 2001As part of Caixa Geral de Depósitos Group, Banco Nacional Ultramarino specializes in the small and medium size business market segment, while developing diversified banking activities.
During this period, branches were opened in London (1991), Zhuhai, the Special Economic Region of China (1993) and Dili, East Timor (1999).
A representative office, inaugurated in Mumbai, India with one extension to Goa.
1988On July 5th 1988, Caixa Geral de Depósitos became the majority shareholder of Banco Nacional Ultramarino S.A. the Republic of Portugal is the other shareholder.
1974Banco Nacional Ultramarino was nationalized.
1950 – 1974BNU further expanded its activity in the international financial markets and by the end of the 60s it had the largest branch network in Portugal.
The Bank of Lisbon and South Africa Ltd was established in South Africa. In the 70s BNU bought a shareholding interest in Banque Interatlantique, a bank in Luxemburg, and opened a representative office in London.
1864 – 1930BNU expanded its network in Portugal, in overseas territories and foreign countries. Branches were open in Angola and Cabo Verde (1865), S. Tomé, Goa and Mozambique (1868), Macau and Guiné Bissau (1902) and Timor (1912) and BNU became the issuing bank in these territories.
Subsidiary banks were established in 1929 in London, the Anglo Portuguese Colonial and Overseas Bank Ltd and in Paris, the Banque Franco-Portugaise d’Outre-Mer.
BNU established representative offices in Kinshasa (1919) and Mumbai (1920).